top of page

Market Research Group

Public·36 members
Rezo Bragin
Rezo Bragin

Subtitle Amelie

If you are learning French, chances are you are watching French films with subtitles. Perhaps French cinema is what motivated you to study French in the first place. Even the novels of a single author can motivate students to study an entire language, as seen by a Japanese teacher I met, who said that some of her students had decided to learn Japanese because they liked the novels of the writer Haruki Murakami. French cinema has definitely been influential around the world and directors from many cultures watch it for inspiration.

subtitle Amelie

Rated G, directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, with Audrey Tautou (Amelie Poulain), Mathieu Kassovitz (Nino Quincammpoix), Rufus (Amelie's father), Yolande Moreau (Madeleine Wallace), running time: 122 minutes. In French, with Chinese subtitles.

Like most foreign-language films released to primarily English-speaking audiences, Amelie is accompanied by English subtitles that correspond to the French dialogue. These subtitles are, of course, there to help the non-French speaking viewer understand the film and follow its plot.

The whole exercise makes me wonder about the nature of viewing foreign language films as a whole. The experience that I have watching Amelie with subtitles is completely different than that of someone who is fluent in French.

When it comes to subtitles and foreign films, there will always be things lost in translation when you go from one language to another. However, what we lose in translation is made up for in the valuable insights gained through an alternative perspective on a familiar film.

One of the most iconic French films of all time returns to cinemas, presented one time only with English subtitles on Sunday 19 December at 14:30 hours by The Schuur in collaboration with expatsHaarlem.

A number of students (some buyas, others not) mentioned the US television drama series The L Word (available on the net, with Arabic subtitles), which started in 2004 and follows a group of (...) 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page